Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Dog Food

'We are what we eat', they say. Most of us know what a healthy diet is, even if we don't always put that knowledge to use. The same goes for dog food! Have you ever read the ingredient list on your dog's food container? If you have, do you understand it? I admit, I didn't do this until a couple of years ago when I got my newest addition, Maeby. She didn't tolerate the well known brand dog food I was buying at the time. My vet informed me of the importance of the ingredient list, and if you can't pronounce an ingredient, it probably isn't good. A friend and myself quickly started researching online to learn what other options were out there. We finally found a very helpful tool: Dog Food Advisor.




Dog Food Advisor categorizes dog food brands into star ratings; 1 star - 5 stars, 5 stars being the best. I discovered that the brand name dog food I was buying only had a 2 star rating. The website also breaks down each ingredient and tells you how it may benefit or harm your dog. It is very informative! You'll quickly learn what ingredients are wanted and what ingredients to avoid.

Because of this helpful website, I now buy a 4 star dog food at the same price I was paying for the 2 star dog food! It's amazing! I would buy a 5 star dog food, but it is simply a matter of price. I'm very content knowing that I have doubled the quality of my dogs' food without having to spend any more than I was. There seems to be a big price gap between the 4 star and 5 star dog foods. I will say, I tried a 5 star dog food for a couple of months, but my dogs simply didn't enjoy it. They're like me; they need a little junk to maintain a level of happiness.

I encourage all of you to check out this website and at least review the dog food you're currently feeding your pups. Who knows? Maybe, you can increase the quality of your dog's food without spending more. I hope you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment