Saturday, February 25, 2012

Walking the Dog

I hear all the time how important it is to walk our dogs regularly.  They need the exercise, and it doesn't hurt me, either.  During a recent dog walk with both the dogs and my husband, I realized that the sizing system for dog leashes are all wrong!  Of course, Daniel wasn't bothered by this as much as I was.  The current system (leashes for small dogs are short and leashes for large dogs are long) just doesn't work. Let me explain.  It only makes sense that the small dog leash should be longer; they're little bodies are further away from us and closer to the ground.  On the other hand, my large dogs do not need a long leash.  It only allows them to get too far ahead of me, and on one occasion, pull me over!  The distance between my hand and my big dog is not 6 feet!  That's why I started the search for appropriate leashes for my big mutts.

Leashes

The first is a leash I use with my Shepherd/Lab mix.  EzyDog makes great athletic dog products. I have both the leash and the harness.  They're great for dogs that don't have a strong tendency to pull.  The shock absorbing (stretchy) leash allows for gentle pulling and correction.  See the best deal I've found for this product by clicking the caption below.

EzyDog Mutley

The second is a product I've recently discovered on www.Etsy.com  FYI, Etsy is a great place for custom ordering of any kind!  This leash is not a custom order if you have a big dog that needs a shorter leash, however, you can request a longer leash from most shop owners.  I haven't yet ordered this product, but it's on my list.  It's made from climbing rope, so it's durable.  I love the ergonomic design, too!
AlaskaLeash on Etsy

Harnesses

I have to throw into the mix some collar alternatives.  Attaching the leash to the collar may eventually cause neck damage, especially to those dogs that pull.  Harnesses are a great alternative for small dogs or dogs that don't have an urge to pull.  See this WebMD link for more information.
Like I mentioned earlier, I use an EzyDog harness for my Kingsley.  I chose the EzyDog, because it it lightweight, reflective, and very easy to get on and off - just one snap!  There are also other great harnesses!  If you have a short-haired dog, check out Puppia.  They can be too warm on a dog with long hair or a dog with an undercoat. I have linked the best deal I've found online for Puppia harnesses.

For my baby, Maeby, I have to pull out the big guns.  She's a strong puller and easily distracted when I'm out of breath.  With her, I use a padded head collar.

Petmate Head Collar


Unfortunately, she broke the Gentle Leader head collar.  It was still useable, but I couldn't size it properly.  So, I found a padded head collar that was more durable (shown above).  They are NOT a muzzle.  They can still eat, drink, pant, bark, lick and fetch while wearing it.  It takes the pressure off of the dog's throat/neck while walking and prevents pulling and lunging.  Maeby stops pulling almost immediately.  She's a little testy, but even she responds to the head collar.  FYI I do not recommend the shock absorbing leash with a head collar.  The shock absorbing leashes are too heavy for a head collar.


If you find any of these products for a better deal, please, leave a comment.

1 comment:

  1. Great info for dog lovers. Especially for ones like me that are too lazy to research anything. Love ya girl. Keep the blogs coming.

    ReplyDelete